Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Northern Territory

Northern Territory

Information on this page was provided by Northern Territory Police and is specific to the NT. The information may not be relevant in other states and territories.

General information and links to other states and territories is available on the About the amnesty page.

The term 'firearms' throughout this website is used to refer to firearms and firearm-related articles. Both can be handed in as part of the amnesty.

Can I register my firearm?

If you are the holder of a Northern Territory shooters licence for the same category as the surrendered firearm, you may apply for a permit to acquire that firearm.

If you do not currently possess a Northern Territory shooters licence you will have to apply for one. In line with standard licensing processes, you must establish a genuine reason for the possession and use of a firearm, and satisfy Northern Territory Police that you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence. Nothing in the process of this amnesty entitles a person surrendering a firearm to automatically become eligible for a licence. Once your licence is issued, you can go through the process to register the firearm.

Throughout the process, the surrendered firearm will remain at the place where it has been surrendered.


The Northern Territory has agreed to waive the cost of the permit to acquire a firearm during the amnesty. If you do not have an existing shooters licence or need to apply for a licence relating to a new category of firearm, you will need to meet the cost of purchasing the licence. Information about fee structures can be found on the Northern Territory Police Firearms Policy and Records Unit website.

Can I sell my firearm?

If the surrendered firearm is capable of being registered, it may be sold to a third party who is able to meet the licencing requirements of that firearm. The firearm will need to be surrendered to police in the first instance and advice needs to be given at that time of your intention to sell the firearm. Police will not act as an agent in any sale transaction.

What if a firearm can't be registered or sold?

Any articles handed in and not re-licensed will be destroyed by police. There may be articles handed in for destruction during the amnesty that have particular significance or value, whether historic or otherwise.

Consideration will be given to allow those articles to be donated to museums or police firearms reference libraries.

What are the hand-in arrangements in the NT?

Firearms, firearm-related articles (such as ammunition and parts), body armour and prohibited weapons can be surrendered during the amnesty.

Firearms can be handed in at any licensed firearm dealer or any Northern Territory police station.

Although it is not a requirement, it is preferable that you contact the police station prior to attendance and make arrangements for a time to hand in the firearm. This will ensure staff are available to receive your firearm and will reduce any delays.

Explosives or ordinance must not be brought into a police station for surrender.  In the first instance, you must call police on 131 444 for assistance to dispose of these items.

Under no circumstances should loaded firearms be taken into a public place, including a police station.

What happens if I'm found in possession of an unregistered firearm?

In the Northern Territory, you may face prosecution and penalties including large fines if you are found in possession of an unregistered firearm, firearm-related article or weapon outside of the provisions of the amnesty.

Registry contact details

NT Firearms Registry
Call: (08) 8922 3669

List of NT drop-off points

You can search for drop-off points closest to your location by using the map. Alternatively, a complete list of drop-off points for Northern Territory can be found on the Northern Territory drop-off points page.